Sunday, November 24, 2013

Why I Geek Thanksgiving

This weeks topic is Thanksgiving.



While it isn't my favorite holiday, I still believe Thanksgiving to be an incredibly important time to celebrate. This time of year we all focus more on the things we should appreciate in our lives. All too often we look at what we are missing or what we want instead of realizing how amazingly blessed we are.

Likewise, I am one of those people who doesn't like seeing Christmas decorations and merchandise in stories on November 1st. This year some stores actually had Christmas merchandise out before Halloween! We complete skipped two holidays people! I really like Halloween too...

Even in the last few weeks, if you go into most major retailers, there aren't Thanksgiving decorations out or Thanksgiving merchandise. The shelves are overly stocked with Christmas nonsense! Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Christmas. It is my favorite time of the year, but I find something wrong with completely ignoring Thanksgiving.

Not to mention, that we basically skip Thanksgiving and jump right to Black Friday, which isn't even a holiday but a celebration of what is wrong with our society. On this day we put ourselves first in a rush to get over priced merchandise we probably don't even need. 

Before you cry hypocrite, don't worry, I will do it for you. I have actively participated in Black Friday on more than one occasion. I am not incredibly proud of it, and I can't deny that I may not participate this year. However, I try to make sure that I am respectful of others and that I realize how lucky I am to be able to afford the things I have. I do my best to to keep up with the giving spirit of the season and that is my focus this time of year. (Check out my Post "The Happiest Time of Year" for more on that.)
 
This week I want to look at all the things I love about Thanksgiving. From food recipes to awesome crafts to do with little ones, or on your own!

Check back tomorrow for more Thanksgiving geekery!

No comments:

Post a Comment