Thursday, November 21, 2013

Why I Love Just Dance

Why I love to Just Dance

I hate working out. It is possibly one of the things I dread most. Sad right? I know, it's so good for me and I feel better afterwards, but just the idea of having to work out makes me feel so bleagh...

My husband bought me a Wii a few years back as a birthday present, and along with it he got me Just Dance 4. I was psyched. I had heard such great things, it looked like fun online. What I was not expecting was how much of a workout it was! Now, I am not the most in shape person. I don't run marathons. I can't bench press my body weight, but I do consider myself pseudo physically fit. I don't start to huff and puff and blow my house down walking up the stairs.

I love the feeling of playing Just Dance. I was a dancer when I was little, in theater and band as a high schooler. I even did Colorguard all through college and still coach one. Rhythmic movement has always appealed to me, more so than steady running. 

The best part is, I don't feel like a fool for getting the moves wrong. I really try to focus on it as a workout. Instead of just doing the moves, I try to engage my entire body. It's easy to focus on certain muscle groups with different moves. Any dance step that requires leg moving, I turn into a squat. If its a pop movement, I pull in my stomach muscles and work it like a crunch.

It is by far my favorite workout. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you should drop all other workouts and just go pick up Just Dance.  Think of it as a nice change of pace. I still like going for a jog or going over to my gym. But as a self admitted self conscious person, I prefer the ability to work out in my living room. I don't feel the pressure to be perfect or the need to look my best. I'm happy to throw on some sweats, a headband, and t-shirt and just dance to my little hearts content. 



My husband laughs at me and says it isn't really a work out, but I whole-heartedly disagree. If it isn't a work out, then neither is step aerobics, yoga, or Zumba. There are lots of people out there who would say those are definitely work outs. And I would say so is Just Dance. The thing is treating it like a work out. I see people at the gym all the time who aren't working out. Great, you're out at a gym. Good for you. But lazily walking for fifteen minutes on the treadmill at a sloth's pace is not working out. 

You have to really engage yourself in your work out and I can do that with Just Dance. Yes, it is my favored workout. And for any mommies out there, it's great for when the little one is down for a nap.

Or to play with little one! My son likes to watch the dancers and dances along with me. It's pretty adorable. 
   http://instagram.com/p/f8EVAvnvyV/

Just Dance 2014 is on my Christmas list by the way. (hint hint)

1 comment:

  1. We got the XBox One yesterday, and Mark promises I will own Just Dance 2014! It will be a great workout, because I LOVE dancing and I really throw myself into it!

    And seriously Jeff? You had the brass to tell your phenomenal color guard wife that dancing isn't a workout? Grab a flag, skinny boy!

    LOL

    ReplyDelete