Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Om Nom Nom: Chicken Fajitas

What's Cookin, Good-lookin?

I made delicious Chicken Fajitas tonight! With the awesome winter storm that we've had, I haven't been able to go to the store yet. It has been good though! I have been cooking things from our freezer.

Ingredients:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (For just my husband and I, I use one chicken breast)
A large onion
A medium sized bell pepper (we used Orange, but any color will do!)
White Rice
Fajita seasoning
Lime/Lemon Juice
Taco Seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Philadelphia Cooking Creme Santa Fe Blend

The first thing I did tonight was cook my chicken. This meal can be done two ways. Sometimes I cook the chicken in my pan with my vegetables and some oil. Tonight, I simmered my chicken in water to cook the chicken breast so that I could shred it. I'm also planning to make chowder tomorrow and will use the stock from tonight in my soup.

While my chicken simmered, I chopped up my veggies. I like my onions and peppers to be thin slices since we are going to eat this all on a tortilla.



I saute up my veggies with about 1/2 a tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper, a little lime juice, and some fajita seasoning. The fajita seasoning I use was a gift from a friend. It is from Mexico and absolutely delicioso. I have also used McCormick Fajita Seasoning for this meal and it works just as well.

I let these cook down until my onions are translucent and they have slight grill marks on them. I like my onions and peppers to be soft. If you prefer them to have a little crisp to them, do not cook them as long.


While these are cooking, I shred my chicken breast. The best way I have found to this is by using two forks. I use one fork to hold the chicken in place and the other to pull the chicken apart into shreds.

At the same time, I cook my rice. For timeliness, I used minute rice tonight. On occasion, I have used regular rice that I prepare in our rice cooker before hand. I normally just make 2 servings because it is just my husband and I. 

After my veggies have cooked down to my preferred crispness, I add my chicken into my pan. At this point, I also add in my Cooking Creme. It gives my chicken a great flavor and helps keep it nice and moist.

I add in enough to cover the chicken and let that cook for a little while. The last thing I add in is my rice. I throw in another 1/2 tablespoon of butter and sprinkle a little taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, and lime juice for flavor. I also add some more Cooking Creme to flavor my rice. Stir this all up together and let it cook on medium for five minutes.



Looks yummy right? Well, even if it doesn't look yummy, it tastes amazing. We like to eat ours on tortillas, sprinkle on some cheese, sour cream, and some Ortega Taco Sauce. However, it's also really good on its own.



Any questions? Let me know! This is a super simple dinner. In total, it only took about an hour to prepare. It takes way less time to eat. =]







1 comment:

  1. You could easily take that recipe one step further... Make a basic enchilada sauce, roll up the fajitas in a 9x13 pan, pour the sauce over top, and top with shredded cheese for amazing enchiladas! I'm all about variations :)

    Looks great love!

    ReplyDelete